Sunday, July 17, 2011

Weekend in review part 2 of 3



The Circle of Life continues...

So Friday, while I was innocently folding laundry in our bedroom, I hear what sounds like a weird squeaking of a bird. It's really close. So I look out my bedroom window in time to see Gemma flipping something out of her mouth. All I can see is that whatever the creature is has a foot, and it is NOT a bird's foot. Gemma has a look of confusion and shock on her face. See similar look below from February 2010.




Anyway, I run out there to find Gemma has slashed a large, bloody wound into the head of a bunny, I know, much sadder then a bird. Why is that? I bring the mighty hunter inside and then contemplate what to do with cottontail. I decide it's best to leave he/she alone; it's hopping and moving alright (albeit a little to the one side). It hops out of the fence- to safety- 5 minutes too late, and I continue to watch it on and off for the next few hours.










Later my mom and I left the house to go walking and it was still out there but had crossed over into Chris and Lori's yard, sitting with it's eyes half shut and flies are cleaning the wound. Sorry for that detail. I of course felt horrible. I called Josh and told him to get the shovel so he could go put it in the "grasslands" behind our house. By the time he got out there Chris had already mowed his front lawn, and we hope he saw the poor thing and took care of it, either in the trash or in the "grasslands". But I am not brave enough to ask, I just don't want to know. I wish I would have just left Gemma alone, at least it would have been over quickly. But then I risk my dog contracting something from the bunny, plus I always think I can save it. Not true. I know Gemma is a dog, a Golden Retriever no less, originally and still bred to hunt. And I will admit, when she's presented me with a bird at the back door the part of me that isn't repulsed is proud of her mighty huntress instincts. I still feel sad though, especially for the cute little bunny.

Alas, this is the circle of life, it continues in our very backyard. Now I think I'll go watch "The Lion King".





If the wildlife in our yard could write, they'd hang this poster...




WANTED

ALIVE... so we can toss her up in the air with OUR teeth!






Stay tuned for weekend in review part 3;)



No comments: