Saturday, August 30, 2008

Seasons of change

Alot of changes are happening right now and while I have known of them, the reality of them has only recently hit me.
First- I am going to graduate in May. This means I started student teaching this semester and I was placed in an elementary school until January when I will then go to a secondary school. I am currently working with kindergardeners, 1st and 2nd graders. This is a big change from the jr. high where I had worked for the past 4 years. I am in a really great school with great teachers and students and I am excited to learn new things and gain experiance with this age group. A week before school started though, it dawned on me that the kids I said goodbye to last May I may very well never see again. I can go back to the jr high and visit my former co-workers- which gives me much relief and I have visited twice in the last two weeks (partly to return borrowed books). I saw some students from last year but the big bulk of 9th graders that moved on to 10th grade and therefore left the school I will miss more. I knew most of these students since they were in 7th grade, some since they were 8th graders and have helped many of them one on one with their academic and behavioral goals.It is true that they have taught me too, and probably more then i could ever teach them. I have discovered that I will have to be happy knowing I did all I could for them and leave them to move forward and make their best choices. I am thankful for all of these great kids and what they have taught me about myself, about learning, about getting to know someone before you form an opinion about them and about life. I will always remember their hard work, and great personalities. I will continually hope and pray for their success and happiness.
Secondly- My sister-in-law is getting married in December. I am honored to be helping her, along with my other sister-in-law, with many of the plans and decisions in preparation for the big day. I am so excited because in many ways I feel like I finally "belong" in a sister type relationship. Don't get me wrong- I had fabulous friends growing up- in fact Dana- my very best friend growing up, is getting married in November, I am in her wedding. I love Dana as a sister- we can talk as if there was never time and distance separating us and we always laugh. It is never awkward and I love her dearly. I have gone through many the trials of childhood and teenage years with Dana by my side as well as Cindy, Alicia and Lynn whom i also love dearly. Another friend Genesis is definently the sister someone forgot to assign, we understand each other in a way I can't explain- I love her dearly too. Each of these wonderful "sisters" of mine also only have brothers.Maybe that is part of the tie that binds and why we have each been so close at different times in life and, at least for me our time and distance doesn't change that. The bond is still there. So when I say sister,I don't want to play down my fabulous friends that God forgot to label as my sisters. I mean sister here, not only as a friendship meaning that gets me through the tears and smiles of life but a literal family bond too. This last part I have never experianced before. Although sometimes stressful, planning the wedding has been fun and I am excited to gain a stronger bond with two of my "sisters".Hopefully this can happen with the others too, I love them as well. I'm excited to "pass on knowledge" to the bride to be (I know that sounds corny) but it makes me feel great to know I can help in this way.
Third- This one is much more surface.
Josh bought a motorcycle. We needed a way for him to get to and from work and school since his company moved farther away. My schedule is somewhat flexible so when the weather is bad he will be able to take the car and I the bus- but we needed something to save gas and help with the run around for the bigger part of the year. I realize, as does Josh, that this mode of transportation is more dangerous. We have taken proper steps to render as much safety as possible. Josh graduated from a motorcycle safety class today, we have purchased top notch helmet, and jacket gear, and he is not riding on the interstate for a long while:)Josh also got promoted to Sergeant in the Marines! I got to go to the "pinning" and even got to pin one of his chevrons. We won't mention how I pinned it on UPSIDE DOWN and I had to be told to fix it. How embarressing;0 Josh was really happy about getting promoted because he had worked really hard and we didn't think it would happen since he was supposed to get out of the military all together in September- now he gets to enjoy being a Sergeant until December. Which also means we get to celebrate the Marine Corp Birthday in November by going to the Marine Corp Ball one last time too!
Number four- Josh and I are moving next summer!
I am so excited to move back home and Josh is excited to move forward in school but it is scary to essentially start over as far as finding a palce to live, a great job, all the other things that are necessary when you move across the country. I am excited to be closer to my side of the family and to be able to spend more time with my bro. I am sad to leave the people I have grown close to here. I will miss them dearly, but luckily we will be back often to visit family and friends:)
I know these feelings are all a part of life and I know I'll get through them and all will be fine. I have to know that things will be taken care of the way they are supposed to be. I can live with that.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow! That's a lot of changes to deal with.
Josh - congratulations on making Sargeant.
We will miss you when you move, but it will give us a good reason to do some more traveling to visit - which I love to do.
Thanks for your help with Jess - I know you are very busy, but it helps us as well as her.
Love ya both!
A motorcycle? Can you talk Mom into letting me get one? :)

Genesis said...

I love you to!!! So much you have helped me and blessed my life in so many ways! I look to as a sister that came into my life when I needed you most to help me with my struggles in life and we both know what I'm talking about. I'm so glad the lord brings people in to are lives when we need it most. We will always be sisters forever no matter where you move I will be here for you no matter what and girl we need to get together k hang out more before next year comes. Love you lots Genesis

Nathan said...

Just wait... I'll get my bike soon and we can go joy riding down highway 3 along the mississippi.