On September 23rd 2014 at 8:09 am Violet Elaine Weight was born. She weighed 8 lbs 9 oz and was 21.5 inches long. Josh and I went to bed late the night of the 22nd, we were lame and just stayed up watching Netflix. So when I woke up at 2:30 am to use the bathroom I was eager to hurry and get back in bed. As I turned over in bed to get out I felt my water slowly but heavily leak out. I knew immediately what it was and told Josh, who hopped out of bed and changed the sheets as I went to the bathroom. I had felt very small contractions earlier in the night but hadn't thought much of it. I decided to hop in the shower and wash my hair, it felt so good to stand in the hot water. In my mind I was thinking, "ok, it's the 23rd... Nancy's birthday (pretty cool) but if I can slow labor I might be able to have the baby on the 24th- Grandma's Birthday!" "I'll stand in the shower longer."
Then, seemingly out of nowhere I started having huge waves (contractions). I'm not going to sugar coat this- it hurt terribly (way worse than my other births and worse than my back labor with Adilene). The waves seemed to encompass my whole body. This was a scary prospect for me as I kind of assumed I would have a long labor again (I had been envisioning a short and fast labor my whole pregnancy) I didn't know how long I would be able to do this if it already hurt so bad. I regrouped- remembered that my self talk is most of the battle (especially for me) I tried to get in bed to rest- but wasn't really able to rest at all.
We called the midwife to let her know that my water had broken and I was having strong contractions but told her we didn't feel like she needed to come yet (she wisely got up and ready anyway). Josh set up the pool in our room and about 6:30 he called our friends (Randall and Nancy Sutton) to come and get the kids. In the preparation for that Michael came in our room and wanted to swim in the pool:) We had talked through what would happen when mom had the baby with them and that they would get to play at the Sutton's house, etc. It was good that they left when they did because I started yelling and making lots of noise shortly after that! The entire labor was an almost constant battle between my inner weaknesses and strengths. I was scared and full of self doubt and then immediately would snap back into positive affirmations and inner strength. I think Josh gave me about 3 blessings- I kept telling him, "It hurts so bad!" " I don't think I can do this!" I was promised in the blessings that I can do this, my faith is strong, the baby will be here soon and that all will be well. He was awesome and my ever strong pillar of optimism. He pressed my hips together (which works wonders to relieve pressure and pain). The midwife had been called as the kids were being picked up and Suzanne Smith (my midwife) and her team of students (3 of them) arrived at about 5 minutes til 8am... As she walked up the stairs I was making a lot of noise and when she got in the room she said, "How do you feel?" I don't know what I said but she replied with, "I know you don't want to be checked... but it sounds like you are making pushing noises? Are you pushing?" I didn't know... if I was pushing... so she said, "I could check you and see where you are? If you want?" I said alright and she discovered that I was at an 8- but had a little bit of a "lip" so she suggested that she could try to gently push the lip down during my next contraction and that should help me open up. I was all for it! The next thing I knew Violet was crowning, and I was pushing her out. A few pushes later she came out and the first thing I said was, "Thank you SO much for coming out!" Then we were astonished that she had so much hair that we could see and that it was red! And then I looked to see that she is a girl! She was beautiful and had to be rubbed a bit on the back to make her more alert- then she cried. I held her close and was so amazed at her loveliness. She seemed so big- much bigger than the 8lb 9oz she was! She pooped three times as one of the students weighed her (she pooped on the student midwife as well- oops!) She nursed right away and I rubbed her vernix in (there was a ton of it)! After the midwives left Josh went and bought us Applebee's and later went and got the kids. Michael and Adilene we SO excited to meet Violet! It was darling. I am so thankful for a quick and healthy labor and birth. I am so thankful for the midwives and all of their knowledge and gentleness. I am so thankful to my loving Heavenly Father for blessing me with another beautiful child and trusting me with her care and for the tender mercies given to me through my birth experience. I love you little Violet (baby bumblebee) you certainly taught me the value of inner strength, and I love you for it.
And a Happy Birthday Cake to celebrate! We had Josh's parents over too, because Violet and Nancy share a Birthday:)






No comments:
Post a Comment