So last Tuesday I was fixing dinner and doing the normal stuff when Michael, who was outside in the backyard calls to me, "Mommy look what I got! Come see!" So I tell him I'm coming- thinking it's another worm he's dug up. I round the counter of the kitchen to meet him at the back door and to my surprise
he
is
HOLDING A BABY BIRD
at first I thought it was DEAD!
But thankfully it was alive as I saw it gasping for air and twitching it's eye under my 2 year olds clenched fist.
Meet Birdie Gemma (wonder where he got that name?)
It is a baby Brewers Blackbird (I think)
And it's parents were none too happy- squawking and all. I explained to Michael why he needed to put him down because Birdi Gemma was trying to learn how to fly and his mommy and daddy are worried. We talked about how they were squawking on the other side of the yard trying to divert his attention away from their baby because they think you might hurt him- they don't now you love the bird. We watched Birdie Gemma for about 30 minutes flutter and hop around the yard with the parental posse close by, and DOGGIE Gemma inside- I was super proud of her not taking the bird from Michael in the first place.
Super funny! I LOVE that little learning lovin boy.
He often asks me "can I/ you get him?" in reference to the birds or squirrels at the park or while we are walking and I always tell him- "No they will fly/run away..." I'm glad he had the experience of "getting one" and that it turned into a positive teaching moment and a happy memory.


No comments:
Post a Comment