TO
CLOTH
DIAPERS
Common opinions about Cloth Diapers...
"Too much work!"
"Too bulky"
"Not worth the money you would save compared to the hassle!"
Here is our conversion story...
When Josh and I found out we were going to have Michael, this was one of those things on our "list of things to research for the new baby" list,
however
Michael was born 5 1/2 weeks early
and
I wasn't yet finished with the school year I was teaching- my coworkers even held Michael before most of my family- it was a whirlwind time
and
the people at work gave me a "diaper shower" thus we really didn't feel the pinch for a long time
So, we didn't really think about it again until we realized we would soon have 2 kids in diapers at the same time (even if it likely won't be for very long).
So, I became a detective- I read about it, searched it, asked several friends (and a few random people at the Library Tot thing who happen to use them- "Hi, I'm Stephanie- do you mind if I rack your brain about the cloth diapers I see that you use?")
Here is a list of some of the best/ most interesting info I found...
1. cloth is cheaper (even with laundry considerations) (scroll down for more)
2. you must budget it out for yourself to appreciate the savings in cost
3. the chemicals in disposables have the *small* potential to harm your man child's parts
4. disposables end up in landfills
5. if you go cloth, you MUST set up a hamper/ laundry system that is going to work for you- otherwise you risk ruining your diapers and stinking up your house.
6. try out a few different brands before you purchase in bulk
7. fewer diaper rashes because cotton breathes better (which perked my ears since Michael's skin is a little bit sensitive)
Well, we DID budget it out, and here's our family's math...
Michael currently uses about 5 diapers in a 24 hour period (this will be more for a younger infant).
5 diapers a day x 7 days a week is 35 diapers
we purchase the diapers from Costco and only use coupons (Kirkland or Huggies depending on which coupon is running)
the price averages 168 diapers for $37.00
168 diapers will last us 4.8 weeks
about 22 cents/ diaper x 35 diapers a week= $7.70
$7.70 a week on diapers x 52 weeks in a year= $400.40
$400.40 a year on diapers x 3 years (give or take a few months depending on your kid)= $1201.20 in diapers...
that you throw away...
aka to a landfill...
what would the Lorax think?
No Really!
We decided on BumGenius brand cloth diapers (which snap up and down to adjust to your child's size -from newborn to 40 pounds- so you don't have to buy different sizes). They cost 17.95 each (which includes the outer shell, and two inserts- newborn and regular sizes).
According to what I have read and learned from my "cloth diaper experts" you can't (and shouldn't) go more then 3 days before doing a load, otherwise you risk the forever stink factor.
I don't wait more then 2 days because that grosses me out, so for Michael I need about 12 diapers (I currently have 9 -and it's working, but if he had the runs or something I would need extra).
For a new baby to last 2 days I would need about 20 more- however, if I'm diapering two kids, my hamper will fill up (and stink when opened) each night (and I wouldn't need quite this many- but for math's sake we'll stick to it). So I'd probably continue to do what I'm doing now (which is one load a night) No, I'm not doing the diapers by themselves (call it gross if you want but it all comes out clean). My normal routine is to do one load of laundry a night- because that way we don't run out of undies/ socks/ ect. and it doesn't pile up for one big job on Saturday- which I would hate. So it's working well into my routine and even though my diaper hamper doesn't get full or stink- it gets emptied almost each night;)
For those of you wondering, I fling the poo into the toilet before it goes in the hamper- it actually comes right off - for newborn poo we will be purchasing a $20.00 sprayer (like the one on your kitchen sink) that hooks to the side of the toilet- no toilet swirling for us!
So, 32 cloth diapers x 17.95 each = $574.40
less then half the price!
One could say that you are using extra water/ soap/ etc. but our family is NOT doing that because I throw them in with the clothes we're already washing anyway (if you still think that's gross- everyone I talked to does the same thing) if we had a sick child I'd do them separate though.
Even if I were using extra water and soap I promise you my $40.00 - $50.00 (in the summer) a month water bill wouldn't feel that extra $626.80 (which is the difference from disposables) in 3 years... for only 1 child by the way.
Also, when taken care of properly, cloth diapers will last through several kids- also part of our goal. One mom at the library has used the same cloth diapers through all 5 of her kids.
(math for that is still 574.40 for cloth but goes to $6006.00 for disposables)
I of course realize that cloth diapering doesn't fit into everyone's lifestyle but we are super happy with our cloth diaper choice, it is worth looking into even if you don't choose it- we will probably still use disposables when we go on vacation or something, because I don't want to have to worry about doing laundry on the go since it isn't something I would normally do on the go- but overall this has worked well for the last month. And Michael has had fewer diaper rashes:)
Also, if you are imagining pins and plastic bloomers, feast your eyes on these...
http://www.bumgenius.com/products.php
I didn't think I would like the snap enclosures over the velcro, but I think when I order more, they'll be snaps;)
next step: reusable wipes ???

1 comment:
I've been looking into cloth diapering as well and I think that's the way I want to go when I have kids. I've been budgeting to get a few baby things here and there even before I get pregnant so that when I am, we have some stuff already. From the research I've done, it seems like the best option for me. Wil isn't sold on it yet, but I can probably get him on board by the time we have a baby.
Post a Comment