Sunday, January 8, 2012

Our New Year

Josh and I decided that for each year our family would pick a "Family Theme", something we can each work on throughout the year that will strengthen our family. I chose this year's theme...


drum roll please...




"A soft answer turneth away wrath..." from Proverbs 15:1.

We made a "sun catcher" that will hang in our kitchen window all year to help us remember. Also Josh and I will take turns selecting a General Conference or church magazine article each week that helps us focus on this goal, as well as pick a "skill" or thought from that article to work on throughout the week and "report" on our progress (and read the next weeks article) at Sunday dinner. This weeks article was "Soft Answers and Muddy Paws" from Dec. 2011 Friend Magazine. This is our plan to implement our theme throughout the year. Also, our first FHE of the year focused on this topic, what it means and what it looks like in our day to day life.

Why are we doing this? I want to raise a good child, and I want my family to be loving, strong and faithful so that we can be a successful family. I got this idea after reading a blog where the two parents pick a family theme for their kids' school year, to help them get through the crazy of school life and all the pressures that come along with that. I don't know how this family focuses on their topic all year, but I was so excited to "start that when Michael starts school" and then realized, we can do it now in our family just because we live in this crazy world. If anyone out there has more ideas on how we could implement this, especially with a young child- I am all ears! I am so thankful for the opportunity I have to be a mother and all that being in this position entails. The fabulous, the crazy and the hard stuff too! I know that it is hard to raise a child in this day in age... and my son is not even 2! I know that I was prepared to be a mom, "for such a time as this" just like Esther in the Bible. So this is my public resolution for 2012, and forever- to be the best mom I can be;)









Also, Michael came out of Nursery today with his very first Nursery picture (I almost cried... I know) he scribbled green on it! An artist, inspirational to all;)

No comments: